Sunday, October 19, 2008

Officially set in stone (or signed on paper)


It's official. The papers have been signed and mailed in. I will be working for L.E.K. Consulting starting January 5th. Prior to my start date, I will taking two weeks off of school, starting November 3rd, to fly out to Boston for training.

Although Rachel and I made this decision more than a month ago, we've been tentative to post anything about it until the papers were signed, sealed, and delivered. I can't tell you just how happy I am about it, so instead allow me to outline the reasons why we made this decision:

1. Amazing people. I couldn't imagine a work environment where I felt like I fit in better, and where the people are so readily willing to help, without condescending or patronizing. (To those of you who read our blog, Andrew and Erin, Jason and Megan, Chris and Kristen, anyone else? - you guys are great!)

2. Never once, all Summer, did I get that feeling I've had in every other job of my life: "Geez, it feels like lunch-time will NEVER get here!" or "I can't wait to go home!" Not to say staying at work as late as 3:30 am this Summer was my #1 preference, the point is just that I never once found myself bored or disinterested.

3. There's a very steep learning curve and an intense focus on the development of the employees. I can only remember one day the entire Summer where I went home and had the thought, "I don't think I learned anything new today." The next day, however, I recall being hit with an onslaught of new things being required of me. What's more, I received frequent reviews from my superiors on the cases I worked on - only my first real day did I wonder if I was doing alright... After that, it was always and quickly made clear to me if my performance was up to par. I can't imagine a place where I would get a more intense and personalized opportunity to be trained and to grow.

4. After working on two cases, essentially beginning to end, I find the types of cases absolutely fascinating. I can't help but feel like I'll be a semi-expert in several industries after a couple of years at LEK.

5. I feel like I make a difference: The research and analysis that I did this Summer, as an intern, had a clear impact on the course our client pursued.

6. The Hoff spoke to me as he passed me by while on location with our client! "Good luck in there"...words from the Hoff meant just for me.



Honestly, the list goes on and on. But numbers 1-5 were the key factors when making our decision (#6 was just icing on the cake). Of course, it makes for an insanely hectic schedule having me start January 5th, since we'll be in Mesa December 17th-25th, and Eugene from December 25th-31st... but it's definitely preferable to waiting until June to start!

Alright, this has turned into rambling. Just wanted to finish by saying that it's a great feeling to know what Rachel and I will be doing for at least the next two years (who knows how much longer?). I haven't had a concrete 2-year plan since I left on my mission! Life is really sweet...

2 comments:

Meg said...

yea! we can't wait for you guys to start.

Cranberryfries said...

Congratulations you guys! Ryan that's so great that you are excited about your new job. That'll make life easier. And as always, I know I can always count on you for finding those great pictures of The Hoff. :)