It's crazy to think that Rachel's so far along! 7 months and 5 days pregnant. Bennett has started to get very active as of late. We typically spend church time watching Rachel's belly dancing with the force of Bennett's hyper-activity. It's been such an indescribable thrill to witness the new and very real evidence that our son is indeed alive and well in his mother's womb. Here are a few random stories of our interactions with Bennett!
The other night, Rachel and I got distracted from our scripture study by Bennett's kicking. Actually, it was more like he was stretching. We could actually see the outline of his foot pressing against Rachel's belly! I took my finger and poked his foot. He pulled it away, then brought it back up and kicked my finger. We both (Bennett and I) quickly realized that this was a game. I started poking and tickling his foot, then he would kick back in response. It was almost like a morse-code kind of communication. He was responding to touch! Or more specifically, he was responding to MY touch in a real way! Already I'm experiencing some of the joys of fatherhood! I can't wait to meet you Bennett!
Yesterday, Rachel and I were sitting on the couch. I threw my feet up on the couch and aimed my head at her lap. My aim was off, however, and my head landed on Rachel's belly. Not a moment later, Bennett felt his space was invaded and started attacking me in a fury! I'd lift my head up just long enough for him to calm down and stop kicking, then lay my head back down on Rachel's belly. No sooner would my head make contact with her belly than Bennett would be attacking me with all four limbs, kicking and punching, firmly declaring, "This is MY territory." Eventually I ceded victory to my persistent son and sat up instead!
This final story is a bit embarrasing for me, but it needs to be told. Rachel got back from the doctor the other day and told me how much she weighed. Now, I knew I'd been putting on a little weight, but I didn't realize how much. When Rachel told me how much she currently weighs, I quickly did the math in my head and realized, "I weigh just as much more than you now as I did when you first got pregnant." That's right, I've put on weight at the same rate as my pregnant wife! I won't specify how much, but a woman is supposed to put on 25-30 pounds during pregnancy and Rachel is more than 7 months along. You do the math. While Rachel's filling up with liquid and baby, ALL of which will be shed in a couple of months, I'm getting pudgy! I feel the rolls in my belly when I sit... This is getting gross! I'm going to start walking to work...
4 comments:
Those are funny stories. My baby is completely different. Whenever he starts kicking and Nate or I try to touch my belly, he stops. He's such a weird little guy. Anyway, I'm excited for you guys!
I always thought it was so awesome to watch Steven move around and kick in my belly. I tried to get video of him doing that a few times but by the time I'd get my camera ready, he'd stop. So I highly recommend capturing some of his movements on video if you can.
It's so great that you already have agreed on a name! And Bennett is a great name :) Have you decided on a middle name yet?
I feel bad. Everyone else commented on the baby's development as they should - and I was just going to talk about Ryan's weight gain. But I won't. :>)
Those are some fun stories. I love the name Bennett. That is really cute. Wesson would keep Kent awake a night by kicking him through me. Oh the joys of pregnancy.
Post a Comment