Friday, June 13, 2008

Karate in LA

Well, we're here in LA. We arrived on Tuesday and just barely went out of the apartment to socialize for the first time tonight (Friday). The past several days have been spent "working our fingers to the bone", if you will, cleaning house. Turns out that the people who stayed here before us not only owned a dog, but they were also the most disgusting people on the face of the Earth. Walking on the carpet barefoot was the most sticky/grimy experience of my life.

Once we had the vacuum unpacked I went to work. We have a bag-less vacuum, so we could see everything that was getting picked up. I swear that I am not exaggerating when I say that I stopped vacuuming after literally five seconds because there was already a clump of junk in there (hair, cockroaches, etc.) about the size of two fists. I sent an email to our landlord complaining, who promptly (thankfully) sent someone over to steam clean the carpets by the end of the day. However, I decided to finish vacuuming before the cleaner guy got here. After vacuuming two bedrooms and a living area about the same size as the bedrooms, I had had to empty the bucket on the vacuum 4 times and I had nearly filled it a fifth time.

After the carpets were cleaned professionally the grit and slime was all gone we noticed a whole bunch of white stains that wouldn't come out. Best we can tell, acidic dog urine, after sitting in the carpet for months(/years?) without being cleaned, had bleached the carpet.

Needless to say after that story, the apartment was really dirty. It is plenty big, however, and it's in a pretty good location. All-in-all I'm pleased, but there's always room for improvement. The reason I'm writing this post is only slightly related. When we got tired of cleaning Wednesday, we collapsed on the couch and turned on the TV. It just so happened that the first Karate Kid had just come on. Talk about a hard core movie! Just check out Mr. Miyagi!



That's one Japanese dude I do NOT want to mess with!

Needless to say, we were so captivate by the first movie that it left us wanting for more! So today we splurged and spent $3 to rent Karate Kid II on Itunes. Can I just say...WOW! I mean seriously...WOW! What a fantastic movie. For anyone who hasn't seen these movies since you were kids, go rent them right now! We will be renting the third movie in the next couple of days so that we can satiate our relentless thirst for more Karate Kid! I find myself waiting for bad guys to attack me that I can use karate on.

Favorite quote from the movies: "Remember what sensei said!" I don't know about you...but in my high school, there was NOTHING more hardcore and cool then walking around talking about what your sensei said to you.

2 comments:

Megan said...

You should posts pictures of your new digs.

Bethany said...

Wow you two seem to go all kinds of places. We are expecting our little girl on Nov. 11th (11/11). That makes me 4 months along. Fun huh? I'm so excited to have a little girl to dress in cute clothes and braid her hair and such. I've heard it gets crazy with two. We'll see, how that goes.