About 11 months ago finals started consuming so much of my time that I broke a 5 month streak of 6 days a week at the gym (I missed only one day because I was out of town). Back then I would spend an hour to an hour and a half every day lifting/running/swimming/etc. Well, it's been a long time since I was going to the gym regularly, but for some reason I assumed I could still do the same workout I was doing a year ago. So wrong...
Having started weight-lifting after several months (or years) of no physical activity on multiple occasions, I'm accustomed to being really sore for the first week or two (as I'm sure is true of most people). Apparently this time I really overdid it, however. Two nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night and my arms were stuck at a 90 degree angle. Using one arm to try to move the other confirmed that they were very much stuck in place at the elbow. After an hour of careful massaging and stretching I managed to straighten out my arms. When I finally fell asleep some time later my arms instantly returned to their 90 degree locked position. This kept me awake most of the night.
So the following day was pretty painful (and embarrassing). Rachel helped me take the lids off of jars I couldn't open and even helped me dress. Later in the day I noticed my over-worked arm muscles start to grow...and continue to grow. My arms swelled to the point where they were once again locked up at a 90 degree angle. Painful as it was, I couldn't help but laugh at myself as I walked around like Edward Scissor Hands (or Mr. Burns).
No comments:
Post a Comment