Monday, November 05, 2007

One more year to go...

Thursday and Friday of last week I was in Boston for my interview with Oliver Wyman. They put me up in a nice hotel, fed me sword fish, etc. It was a really cool and very enjoyable trip. When I first arrived at my hotel I left my stuff in my room and went for a walk. I intentionally got lost by not paying attention to where I was walking so I could get to know the city as I tried to find my way back to the hotel. It was a very interesting experience. I saw some cool old buildings. It was also interesting to see real homeless people. Admitedly, I've never really seen them before except on TV. I never realized what a tragic reality it was. But all in all, I very much enjoyed the little walk.

The interview didn't go as well as I had hoped. While I don't want to make excuses, I was feeling pretty tired and just didn't do as well as I would have liked. Correspondingly, I didn't get an offer to return for another round of interviews. I still have one more place I could interview with, but I'm not planning on accepting a job with them as it's not one of my top choices.

So now Rachel and I are back at the drawing board. I knew going into the interview process this year that it was a long shot. Having no work experience, internships, and having not taken the GMAT, I was hard pressed to get interviews. I did really well on most of the interviews I had, however, and I'm confident that, given more opportunities to interview, I'll end up with a good job in the future. By "In the future" I mean about a year and a half from now.

My game plan is as follows from here on out: In May I take the GMAT. During the summer I do an internship with an Investment Bank. Next October I reapply with I-banks, strategy consulting, and economic consulting firms. In the meantime, I'll also be researching other options. Basically, I intend to apply anywhere and everywhere that will accept an Econ grad and see what options become available. Graduation will be December of '08, and I'll start work as soon as I can after that.

So that's my news. What seemed like a tragic loss at first has turned into a great relief. I'm very much looking forward to having another year to investigate different options instead of jumping into something I'm not sure about. Otherwise, school, work, and marraige continue onward as always. Peace.

No comments: